Proportional Representation - Victoria Legislative Council

Victoria Legislative Council
Name of proportional representation system Single transferable vote – partial preferential
Ballot Paper Ticket Voting Above or beside the line voting Yes. Above the line voting.
Rotation of candidate names No. Order of names determined by the party or group.
Directions You may vote in one of two ways, either:

Above the line – by placing the number 1 in one and only one of the boxes to indicate your choice, or

Below the line – by placing the numbers 1 to at least 5 in the squares to indicate your choice.
Formality A vote below the line is informal if:
  • it has no first preference
  • a tick or cross has been used as a first preference
  • there is more than one first preference
  • it does not include at least the numbers 1 to 5

A single cross or tick above the line is accepted as a first preference. Ticks and crosses are not accepted for voting below the line. Where the elector has marked both above and below the line formally, the vote below the line for individual candidates takes precedence. Otherwise, if one side is informal, the formal side is counted.

Distribution of a Surplus Method of distribution of surplus votes and calculation for new transfer value

All of the elected candidates' ballot papers are distributed to pass on the surplus votes. The transfer value is calculated as follows:


Transfer value = Number of surplus votes divided by the number of ballot papers received
Election of a candidate Exclusion of candidates Amalgamated Transfer Values. All the ballot paper parcels received by the excluded candidate are amalgamated by transfer value and distributed in decreasing order of magnitude.
Exclusion of the lowest candidate when two or more are equal Exclude the candidate that had the lowest total the last time those candidates were not equal. If those candidates were equal at all times, exclude the candidate determined by lot by the election manager.
Casual Vacancies How is a casual vacancy filled? The new member is chosen by a joint sitting of both Houses of Parliament. If the vacating member was endorsed by a registered political party at the time of election, the replacement must be a member of the same party. If the vacating member was not endorsed by a registered political party the replacement must have lived in the region for at least 12 months and must not have been a member of a political party at any time during the previous 5 years.

Related Victorian electoral information